We live in a digital world where consumers view the internet as an integral part of their shopping experience. Regardless of whether they buy online or in person, they use the internet to learn more about the products and businesses available. The digital marketplace, therefore, cannot be overlooked by any business as brands that do not take the initiative to leverage and understand the importance of SEO will be left behind and miss out on a great deal of value they could be adding to their business.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a methodology of strategies, techniques and tactics used to increase the visibility of a website, web page or app in a web search engine by obtaining a high-ranking placement in the search results page of a search engine, including Google, Bing, Yahoo and many others.
What You Should Know About SEO
Search engine optimization describes a strategy that encompasses nearly every aspect of website-building and content development. When it is done effectively, it creates an outstanding user experience for the consumer, further building their trust in the company.
The main goal of SEO is to demonstrate your value to the search engines. When they know your value, your pages will rank highly for search queries relevant to your content.
The importance of SEO comes from its ability to help customers find you easily.
SEO involves so many ranking factors, and the website that ranks first can be likened to a triathlon winner. In a real triathlon, the winner of the running portion is not necessarily the winner of the entire race – and so it is with SEO. The website with the most links, the most pages, or the most visitors is not necessarily the foremost; their overall performance determines which website ranks first.
SEO is a continuous process, with the end goal of improving your website’s position in search engines, hence the tag “search engine optimization”. The desired ranking is achieved as optimization continues so as to maintain the ranking position on the SERP (Search Result Page).
Two Types of SEO
There are two ways to improve and optimize a website in search engines. The two types of search engine optimizations are discussed below:
On-page Optimization: This consists of any controllable factors on your own website that affects or improves the search engine rankings of your website. These factors include site speed, keyword presence and placement, title tags, alt tags, meta descriptions, URL, header text, images and so on.
Off-page Optimization: This means anything done on other websites, generally links, that may influence your rankings on the search result page. This type of SEO is called backlink.
A Backlink is the link a website gets from another website. Backlinks make huge impact on a website's prominence in search engine results. This is why they are considered very useful for improving a website's SEO ranking. As discussed in introduction paragraph above, search engines calculate rankings using multiple factors to determine which search results display first.
SEO takes time, technical know-how and successful implementation of on and off-page optimization factors to optimize a website for high rankings in search engines. If the collective power of your website or a page optimization is more powerful than all others with regards to a specific search query, it will rank top.
Why SEO is Important
SEO is search engines' way of determining which sites deserve to rank highly for each search query entered into its search engine. Without modern SEO, it would be extremely easy to manipulate the search results so that the sites with the most links or the most pages—all easily generated by software—consistently rank first. The importance of SEO include:
1. Brand-building: Brand building can help create powerful organizations. When people recognize your logo, color(s) and positive reputation, it can help build greater trust with prospects. SEO and digital marketing can help capitalize on this.
A strong online presence will encompass many channels. A complete SEO strategy will involve employing platforms such as social media. Your brand will be available to customers throughout their digital lives, enhancing recognition and leads.
2. Better positions on the SERP: Search engines are trusted platforms, and achieving a top spot in search engine rankings sends a message to searchers about the credibility of your website. The higher you rank in results pages, the more traffic your site generates. Your position on the SERP plays a large role in the number of clicks and traffic you receive. According to Advanced Web Ranking, the top three positions alone on the SERP receive an average of 60% of all the clicks. This means that the higher your site appears, the more results you will gain from your effort.
3. Fairness and Transparency: It minimizes the chances of manipulating search results as much as possible so that the sites appearing for each search are there because they deserve to be there. Simply put, SEO ensures the fairness of search results.
4. User Experience: SEO also improves user experience, making it more likely for customers to become clients.
5. Cost-effective: SEO is a cost effective mode of marketing. Competitive industries can spend large amounts of money on paid website traffic. Of course, you can still purchase advert space. If you’re working with a tight budget however, SEO is a great way to drive qualified traffic to your site without directly paying for it.
6. Communication: SEO helps you communicate better with search engine algorithms. Your topic will become clearer to the search engine spiders.
Basically, SEO is important because it ensures that people don’t have to search for more than a few seconds to find the information they seek. It establishes a sort of “natural online order” that would have been without it.
SEO is clearly very important, and without it, too much will is expended on traditional marketing activities.
To be continued
You can check out our services. We'll be happy to be at your service. Be it web design, mobile or desktop app development, corporate branding, networking, information security services, etc, we have the exact solution tailored to meet your needs.